Mine Safety Specialist I & II
- Those with previous mining industry experience who wish to become Safety Specialists.
- To provide an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a safety specialist in the mining industry.
- To develop practical hands-on experience in being a safety specialist.
- Mine Safety Specialist I
- Introduction to safety and safety management systems.
- Introduction to MSHA covering the MSHA act, MSHA organization, MSHA inspections, regulations overview, training requirements and recordkeeping. An attorney specializing in MSHA Law will present a part of this section and an MSHA representative will also be invited to participate.
- Principles of workplace safety inspections, audits, and accident investigations.
- An overview of "Brain Based Safety" and leadership/cultural change.
- Introduction to industrial hygiene strategies and sampling.
- JSA's, root cause analyses, MSHA report and recordkeeping scenarios and practice.
- Mine Safety Specialist II
- Partial day with an attorney specializing in MSHA law with discussion of MSHA practices, updates, challenges, citations, inspections, etc. An MSHA mangement team member will be invited to participate for a portion of this day.
- Full day with Leadership/Cultural Change trainer to provide tools for individuals to apply the principles from the basic course.
- Half Day presentation on designing a safety program for a site as well as program administration. This will be presented by a safety professional from a mine site, if available.
- One and a half days of practical experience at the CSM Edgar Mine Site working scenarios for an accident investigation including taking notes, interviewing victims, witnesses and officials, completing reports, reporting to MSHA (if necessary). Conducting a safety inspection/audit of the facility to include walk around, records inspection, conducting opening and closing meetings, report writing. We would also have a practice of standard industrial hygiene sampling for dust, noise and gasses.
- 4 days per class, Monday through Thursday
- $1000 per person
- Safety Specialist I
- April 22-25, 2014
- Safety Specialist II
- Classroom portion held at MSHP office at 1600 Jackson St. Golden, CO 80401
- Hands on portion held at CSM Edgar Mine Facility in Idaho Springs, CO
- Please visit the MSHP course registration page for registration information.