Western Mining Training Center
The Western Mining Training Center is a collaboration between the University of Arizona (UA) and the Colorado School of Mines (CSM). It is funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to enhance the quality and availability of health and safety training for mineworkers in the Western United States. The major objectives are to establish a training program that:
- Addresses the training needs of miners.
- Increases the number of qualified mine safety and health trainers in the Western United States.
- Develops and delivers training to mineworkers located in the Western United States.
- Provides qualified instructors and faculty.
- Evaluates the effectiveness and impact of the training program on reducing injuries and illnesses to miners.
- Coordinates with existing training programs, such as those offered by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) and MSHA-funded state grant programs.
Please visit The University of Arizona's Website for more information regarding their training courses.
The EMCIS Program at CSM presents practical, state-of-the-art information, which is designed for working professionals in the mining and minerals industries. Our approach is to utilize highly qualified technical professionals with experience in the mining industry who can offer real-world experiences as it relates to their training topics. We promote active discussions and participation by students. Most of our trainers are MSHA-approved instructors for both surface and underground mines.
The Western Mining Training Center strives to provide workers with relevant knowledge regarding hazards encountered in the mining environment and with practical tools for reducing risks of incurring injuries and illness. This knowledge assists workers in becoming active participants in determining and improving the health and safety conditions under which they work and in establishing collaborative employer-employee relationships for creating safe workplaces. Training courses offered by the Western Mining Training Center include:
- MSHA Part 48 New Miner (Underground and Surface) and Annual Refresher
- MSHA Instructor Certification
- Teaching Strategies for the Mine Safety Trainer
- Mining Institute for Supervisory Leadership
- Training Short Courses/ Presentations for Trainers
- Training for English Language Learners
- Exposure Assessment Training and Guidance
- First Aid