New Miner (Surface) - MSHA Part 48 Training
This course is a 3-day course and fully meets all Federal requirements for anyone working at a surface mine. No additional training at a mine site is required. Upon completion of the course, students will receive an MSHA Form 5000-23 certifying that they have completed 24 hours of training for surface mines.
- Those interested in working in the mining industry;
- Those with mining experience in other countries who wish to be certified to work in mines in the US
- Those with US mining experience but who have not previously met MSHA Part 48 training requirements.
- Identify hazards typically found at mines
- Utilize appropriate controls to minimize exposure to hazards
- Mine Act and Miners’ Rights and Responsibilities
- Dust and Respiratory Protection
- Confined Space
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Transportation and Communications
- Surface Ground Control
- Lock Out / Tag Out
- Accident Reviews
- Conveyors and Guarding
- First Aid
- Hazard Recognition
- Electrical Safety
- Accident Prevention
- Hazard Communication
- Self Rescue Devices
- Mine Gases
This course includes a discussion, led by EMCIS staff members, of hazards and appropriate controls for each person’s job attending this course. This discussion fulfills the requirement for an additional 4 hours of site specific training.
- 24 hours (Three days 8am-5pm)
- EMCIS Main office - CSM Training Room - 1600 Jackson St. Golden, CO 80401
Note: This course complies with MSHA regulations for Surface Miners. If an underground certifcation is wanted you must complete the New Miner Underground course. The underground certification cannot be added at a later date unless the entirety of the New Miner Underground course is completed.
Course Enrollment Policies
All payment is now completed online via CASHNet. Please follow the link to registration and payment.
All course cancellations will be charged a $50 service fee. No refunds will be made to registrants who fail to cancel five (5) working days prior to course delivery. Sponsor cancelled courses will be given full refunds. Reservations may be transferred and substitutions may be made at any time without cost penalty.
Registration fee includes tuition, all course materials, and refreshment breaks.
Information regarding course location and directions will be sent to registrants upon receipt of registration form.
Registrants are responsible for making their own lodging and travel arrangements. Information on local accommodations will be provided upon receipt of registration form.
CSM reserves the right to cancel the course and return registration fees if enrollment is insufficient.